The Palazzi Barbaro are a pair of adjoining palaces, in the San Marco district of Venice.
They were formerly one of the homes of the patrician Barbaro family, one of the preeminent noble Venetian families . The Palazzi are located on the Grand Canal of Venice, next to the Palazzo Cavalli-Franchetti and not far from the Ponte dell'Accademia. The buildings are also known as the Palazzo Barbaro-Curtis. It is one of the least altered of the Gothic palaces of Venice.
The building is actually two palaces, the gothic building that can be dated around the 1420’s and the wing added in 1698.
The last of the Barbaro family sold the Palazzo to an American family, the Curtises, from Boston in the 1880s . The Curtises begun a thorough restoration and kept the palace with love and dedication bringing it back to social and cultural life and making it the meeting place for some cosmopolitan American and international artists and poets of the early 20th century with visits from John Singer Sargent, Henry James, Whistler, Robert Browning and Claude Monet. Other members of what became known as the "Barbaro Circle" included Bernard Berenson, William Merritt Chase, Isabella Stewart Gardner, Edith Wharton, and Charles Eliot Norton
Any wonder that Jimmy found it a useful headquarters for his operations in Venice.